Warfist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warfist is a US Destruction Guild of Warhammer Online dedicated to bloody combat and misery of our enemies.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mark on pets the PW and few other things

Go down 
+4
Squib
Nibbler
Draego / Superspike
Derwydd Gimphealer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Derwydd Gimphealer
Grunt
Grunt
Derwydd Gimphealer

Character sheet
Charater Name: Cernunnos
Character Occupation: Zealot
Experience:
Mark on pets the PW and few other things Left_bar_bleue0/0Mark on pets the PW and few other things Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Mark on pets the PW and few other things Empty
PostSubject: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 11:54 am

State of the Preview Weekend [ Comment ]
Print News | Category: General - Mythic News - Game News

Mark addressed several things today on the Vault Forums, in regards to the Preview Weekend. Confirming that Pet classes and Mob AI is severely broken right now, but they are working round the clock to get a solution up and running for the next test build. Read on to find out what else he has to say:

Folks,

I'll be expanding this as the weekend goes by but here's where we stand right now in terms of some of the issues that have been discussed, tossed around, thrown like a spear at our heads since the Preview Weekend started:

1) We peaked last night at around 30K concurrent players across our servers, that is obviously a great number. During that time the servers performed extremely well in terms of CPU usage and we never once came close to max usage so we know that we will meet our server cap populations for launch.

2) Regarding overall server stability we've pretty much exceeded our expectations. We've only had two full server crashes across all servers since we began. Neither crash was due to player load, CPU overload, code going brain dead,etc. but due to a minor issue on our part. The same is true for region crashes of which we only had two. Unfortunately, we had more scenarios crash (20) than we like but the number is still quite low considering we've been running 15 servers for more than a day.

3) Client crashes (crashes to desktop) are down from the last stage of closed beta and thanks to all the people playing, we've already fixed two issues that have caused some of the CTDs. We're not there yet but we are in better shape than we were last month and we will be even better at launch. Even now the CTDs are lower than some games were at release but having said that, it's not good enough for us and CTDs are issue #1A for us right now.

4) Pet AI and pathing is severely broken. The Preview Weekend patch (3.3) unfortunately borked the system. This is issue #1B for us. Even though this is a beta and new bugs/issues are to be expected, we messed up on this issue. We expect a quick turnaround on this next week. So please accept my apologies for this one, it should not have happened.

5) On the subject of graphical quality, SLI, etc., the problems that some players have reported are being focused on as well. From what we've been able to gather so far (other than on SLI which is a known issue), there is something weird happening with a small percentage of graphic cards as well as a possible issue which crept into this patch. We'll know more about it this week.

6) On some targeting issues, we're looking into that as well.

7) Regarding the GCD, we are not going to remove the GCD but we are continuing to look into some of the issues that have been reported with its use. As our closed beta testers have reported, our Combat Responsiveness Code made a huge difference to the game's feel and we're going to continue to look at the GCD and see if it needs tweaking along with any bug fixes that need to be done. I'll be posting more about this as well in the coming days/weeks. While the bugs with the GCD isn't our #1 priority, making combat feel even more responsive and fun is a major issue so it will continue to get looked at and tweaked over this last month and beyond.

So, that's it for now, more to come as the PW progresses as things arise. Overall we are thrilled with the response to the game on the Web, to our in-game surveys and from our feedback/bug tools. I'm glad we still have almost a month before launch but I am also quite happy where we are other than the problem with pathing/AI for which again I offer my apologies.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Draego / Superspike
Slugg
Slugg
Draego / Superspike

Character sheet
Charater Name: Draego
Character Occupation: Sorcerer
Experience:
Mark on pets the PW and few other things Left_bar_bleue0/0Mark on pets the PW and few other things Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 1:51 pm

Great communication. Always nice to see Mark taking the lead. I personally have had serious problems with my laptop and CTD's. I am confident they will figure it out, though.

Thanks for the info Cern!
Back to top Go down
Nibbler
Maggot
Maggot
Nibbler

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 4:43 pm

Woot! I was wondering why my squigs were acting like retards Laughing
Back to top Go down
Squib
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 5:14 pm

What? Constructive and informative response from a company?! I know who ISN'T in charge of this. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.warfist.net

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 4:05 am

Failcom sure isn't. Thank the lord.
Back to top Go down
Belhabib
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Belhabib

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 am

You mean this company is actually working on bugs first before messing with anything else? I am thrilled. I came from AoC, myself. Game was so unplayable.
Back to top Go down
Squib
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 4:34 pm

I like how everyone keeps pointing at AoC. Apparently Failcom ferked up so hard that they made everyone forget how badly Blizzard sucks.
Back to top Go down
nezitic
Soldier
Soldier
nezitic

Character sheet
Charater Name: .The.Nez.
Character Occupation: Gamer
Experience:
Mark on pets the PW and few other things Left_bar_bleue151/200Mark on pets the PW and few other things Empty_bar_bleue  (151/200)

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Squib wrote:
I like how everyone keeps pointing at AoC. Apparently Failcom ferked up so hard that they made everyone forget how badly Blizzard sucks.

That's exactly what happened. AoC was THAT poorly addressed. They honestly outdid Blizzard tenfold.
Back to top Go down
Belhabib
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Belhabib

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 5:05 pm

I logged onto Age Of Conan the other day, just for kicks and to see if they had fixed anything, within five minutes I had a horrible texture problem (the trees turned into breasts and other things)...

I don't think anyone whose ever played AoC will forget how horrible it was.
Back to top Go down
Kade
Dread Lord
Dread Lord
Kade

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Quote :
(the trees turned into breasts and other things)...

you shouldnt tell squib things like that.

He will go buy the game and we will never see him again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/warslugg
Belhabib
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
Belhabib

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 5:10 pm

Kade wrote:
Quote :
(the trees turned into breasts and other things)...

you shouldnt tell squib things like that.

He will go buy the game and we will never see him again.

Oh...

Well, the trees turned into disgusting things that come out of people's orifices and the ground was turned into a landscape of eyeballs!

Better?

Also: I lol'd.
Back to top Go down
Derwydd Gimphealer
Grunt
Grunt
Derwydd Gimphealer

Character sheet
Experience:

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:11 pm

Okay, it was a wild and crazy weekend in WAR and while some of you might be tempted to go all Samurai on us for a couple of the bugs, overall things went very, very well. As long-time readers of my notes now, I won’t do a Nick Winters and we are anything but pathological liars so we’ll always own up when we make a mistake and we made a couple here. So, let’s talk amongst ourselves and have a little chat about the top nine list of the biggest issues and where we stand in regards to them.

(1) Client Crashes – I’ve talked about this as one of the reasons why we didn’t release the NDA until recently. Here’s the current status.
- Just a little too many currently. While we are better off than we were in beta, we must do better still before release.
- A number of players will lower spec machines had more CTDs than higher spec machines.
- Number of fixes already in pipeline. They are working their way through our testing servers and will be pushed to the players once they have been vetted internally.
- Engineering time for CTD issue has remained heavily committed; our top engineers are working on the various issues.

(2) Monster Pathing and AI – Well, what can I say other than not even all of King Tut’s wealth could have made us feel better for messing up on this one. Well, maybe all his wealth.
- “Yes, that monster seems to be behaving a little oddly”. Monster responsiveness was very sketchy, odd pauses and tethering issues.
- “Oh, was I supposed to go in that direction?” Pathing sometimes wonky - mobs get stuck or go in wrong direction.
- Utter confusion at times as both monsters and pets will engage and disengage seemingly at random
- Internal server optimizations last week broke the pathing/AI. And I mean really, really broke it. This truly was a “Opps, we broke this code” moment for us and we don’t have many of them.
- Going to ensure that this problem is fixed this week. As I said in my first Preview Weekend, this is a major concern for us. Fortunately we have no underwater combat in this game or some of the NPCs may have been appropriately dubbed land sharks.

(3) Pet Responsiveness – With similar issues to Monster Pathing and AI, this was not our finest hour.
- Need to transfer "combat responsiveness" fixes to pets - have pet move immediately on button press.
- “Oh no, Mr. Bill!” Pets suffer from same pathing and lack of response as general monsters. Pets hopping around like they were headed to Del Staters.

(4) Global Cooldown Timers –This seems to be a hot topic for players to talk about. However, things aren’t always as they seem.
- Reality and perception are two different things, Warhammer has a GCD of 1.4s, WoW has 1.5s
- “Ability not ready” messaging needs to be improve, a sound effect if Global Cooldown in effect, maybe more cowbell?
- Need to improve on the feeling of sluggishness of the GCD and UI. Bug with display where our timer shows 2s when it is really 1.4
- The next best thing to a queue is? We will add in better "slop timer" to allow players 0.3s extra to pre-queue a second ability followup.

(5) Better animations
- So much more coming in the next two versions of the client. We are currently incorporating serious amounts of new animations into the game. Hopefully nobody will sneak a coneheads model into the game.
- Look at what my XXXX does now? Over the next month we will address many class-attack specific issues across all 20 careers.
- “U think you can dance?” Nope, but we have added new racial animations for movement, fidgets and redid some emotes.

(6) Texture Blurring
- Textures are currently cached in a manner that results in blurriness on entering a region.
- We will look at adding a client scalar.

(7) Client Performance – This is one of those issues
- Need better scalers on effects, sounds, graphics, etc to help lower end machines (already lots of additions to coders)
- This thing loves memory like Dan Aykroyd loves bass. We have already improved the memory consumption of the client and taken 100M out of current test best.

( Targeting, Camera, etc
- Currently our targeting system differs from many MMOs in terms of our features and how we go about things. We will identify and make a more standard initial setup but allow flexibility.
- Will add additional keybinding selections to allow flexibility

(9) Renown rank gear
- Unfortunately, a new bug (well an old bug we fixed and then managed to break again) which allowed Rank 10 RR 6 players can go to Tier 2 to get better gear and then come back to Tier 1 and own scenarios. We are currently working on a fix.

I hope you enjoyed the Preview Weekend and we thank you for your interest and we hope, patronage of our game.

Guess what folks, that’s the news and I am outta here!

Mark
Back to top Go down
Mookie
Blood War Lord
Blood War Lord
Mookie

Character sheet
Charater Name: Mook
Character Occupation: Forum Whore
Experience:
Mark on pets the PW and few other things Left_bar_bleue684/0Mark on pets the PW and few other things Empty_bar_bleue  (684/0)

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 6:17 pm

Awesome, if they fix all those bugs by release, this game is going to be a great success.
Note- "great success" is in Borat voice.
Back to top Go down
Squib
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 7:22 pm

This wasn't intentional? Sad

(9) Renown rank gear
- Unfortunately, a new bug (well an old bug we fixed and then managed to break again) which allowed Rank 10 RR 6 players can go to Tier 2 to get better gear and then come back to Tier 1 and own scenarios. We are currently working on a fix.
Back to top Go down
Derwydd Gimphealer
Grunt
Grunt
Derwydd Gimphealer

Character sheet
Experience:

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 7:26 pm

Squib wrote:
This wasn't intentional? Sad

(9) Renown rank gear

There at one time was a higher rr needed but its always been lvl 10 so I dont know how this is a bug......... Personaly its availabe to everyone so I dont know what the issue is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mark on pets the PW and few other things   Mark on pets the PW and few other things Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mark on pets the PW and few other things
Page 1 of 1